Re: Odd(?) RI-trigger behavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Odd(?) RI-trigger behavior
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2001-09/msg00234.php
> Nobody opposed to the idea of name ordering in that thread.

Okay, I've committed the fixes that implement this.

> But note that this is on TODO:
> * Allow user to control trigger firing order
> That probably means that the user should have some reasonable way to
> change the name, besides fiddling with system catalogs.

Yeah.  As of CVS tip, to reshuffle the order of existing triggers you
must (a) do a manual UPDATE pg_trigger SET tgname = 'something' ...
then (b) restart your backend(s), because the relcache code does not
notice that you did that, so it'll keep using the trigger data it
already had loaded.  This is pretty ugly.  An ALTER TRIGGER command
seems called for if we want to call the TODO item really done.
I haven't got time for that at the moment; any volunteers?