Re: Migrating MySQL app to postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Migrating MySQL app to postgres?
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 12:27, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, there is no use of an abstraction layer in SugarCRM, and the
> > few comments I found in their forum about alternate databases indicated a
> > current focus on feature enhancements and sales / services, not supporting
> > alternate databases.
>
> Scott,
>
>    Thanks for the insight. Up until the mid-1990s (when I migrated from DOS to
> linux), I used my own CRM written in Paradox. I tuned it over time to do
> everything I wanted, and it was open and used every day. I just never did
> port that to postgres.
>
>    Guess now's the time. I'm trying to find a copy of pygresql to use, but
> it's not easy (www.pygresql.org leads to druid.net and there's nothing on the
> page about pygresql). I'm learning python to use on a major project here (but
> the core libraries will remain in C) so I'd like to use that for the UI on
> this project, too. I'm still not sure about the reports, but one step at a
> time. That is, will the pygresql display nicely formatted reports based on
> sql queries to the backend? Need to find out.

Good luck with it.  Have you considered doing the project in another
language?  I like Python, but it's felt half-finished for quite some
time now.  So, I use PHP and / or Java (just learning it really) for
most stuff.

Of course, Java's felt half finished most of its life to me as well, but
it's finally feeling mature.

PHP, for all it's warts and blemishes, has been a stable language (not
the definition, the VM / implementation) with usable connect libs for
quite some time.  IF you're an old C programmer, it's quite easy to
write readable / maintainable code.  If you're a beginner, it's a pretty
good way to learn REALLY bad habits...

Ruby on Rails has promise, but also feels like it's really just getting
started.