Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tony
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  (Bricklen Anderson <BAnderson@PresiNET.com>)
List pgsql-general
Le mercredi 09 mars 2005 à 09:47 -0800, Ben a écrit :
> Ho ho, flame on! :)

Hear hear!!! This man is a troll if ever we have seen one.

> > Personally, I find the anti-windows bias that has been shown in this
> > thread by some developers to be disappointing. Maybe it sucks to program
> > in, and maybe it's not as stable as unix (though I don't put much water
> > in that argument anymore), but the fact is there's still a LOT of places
> > that are windows shops and a LOT of people who use windows more heavily
> > than *nix. More important, the egotism of "If you want to use PostgreSQL
> > you better run it on what we tell you to run it on" is certain to turn
> > people off of PostgreSQL. It will certainly turn off windows developers
> > who might have been interested in working to improve PostgreSQL now that
> > it runs on windows.

Excuse me dear sir. There seems to be about 97% of the world that runs
Windows that does not give you permission to be rude to a tiny minority
who just happen to have written an insanely great database that runs
quite nicely on their "hobby" OSs as well as the crap you call home. If
you aren't pleased with the postgresql support on Windows don't use
it!!! That is your freedom. Ours is to think (maybe wrongly) that it is
much better running it on the BSDs and Linux of our choice. That is our
freedom.

There is nothing egoist about developing a great database server on an
OS with a tiny user base. The egoists are elsewhere dear sir, far from
the free software developers, in the closed source world. The code is
there, it is free - go and improve it. Maybe you need a dictionary to
look up the word egoist?

Please go and troll over at MySQL. They have a Windows version too and
maybe a lot more time and patience for rude people such as yourself.

Tony