Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
>> Every so often there are discussions of going over to GNU indent
>> instead.  Presumably that would solve the portability problem.
>> The last time we tried it (which was a long time ago) it seemed
>> to have too many bugs and idiosyncrasies of its own, but it would
>> be worth a fresh round of experimenting IMHO.

> Well, GNU indent is now on version 2.2.9, and has evidently addressed
> *some* problems with it.

> Unfortunately, the pgindent README does not actually specify what any
> of the actual problems with GNU indent are, thus making it pretty much
> impossible to evaluate whether or not any of the subsequent releases
> might have addressed any of those problems.

This wouldn't be hard for someone to investigate.  Check out our CVS
from immediately after the last pgindent run.  Run GNU indent on it.
See what options result in the smallest diff, and what the diff looks
like in terms of making the code look nicer or less nice.