Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud
Date
Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud  (Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com>)
Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> writes:
> Nothing. I have created a Postgres instance on an EC2 virtual machine with
> attached EBS(Elastic Block Storage). I only got as far as creating in it and
> verifying it would run, no benchmarking. EC2 instances have storage as part of
> the instance but it is temporary and goes away when the instance is shut down.
> For a database you want EBS as it is a virtual harddrive that persists. Should
> an EC2 instance go down, you just reattach the EBS drive on reboot.

... I wonder whether you have any guarantees about database consistency
in that situation?  PG has some pretty strong requirements about fsync
behavior etc, and I'd not want to take it on faith that a cloud
environment will meet those requirements.

Performance would be an interesting question too.

            regards, tom lane