Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 03 March 2009 4:41:48 am Sanjay Arora wrote:
> I found today that postgres EnterpriseDB supports Amazon EC2. On a
> shoestring budget EnterpriseDB is just as much an option as Oracle ;-(
>
> So, question is what makes EnterpriseDB more suitable for the cloud than
> plain vanilla postgreSQL?
>
> Anyone?
>
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.

Nothing. I have created a Postgres instance on an EC2 virtual machine with
attached EBS(Elastic Block Storage). I only got as far as creating in it and
verifying it would run, no benchmarking. EC2 instances have storage as part of
the instance but it is temporary and goes away when the instance is shut down.
For a database you want EBS as it is a virtual harddrive that persists. Should
an EC2 instance go down, you just reattach the EBS drive on reboot. If I
remember correctly there are also some articles at aws.amazon.com about setting
up RAID using EBS drives.

--
Adrian Klaver