Buildfarm error: Broken compatability with JDK 1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Mike Fowler
Subject Buildfarm error: Broken compatability with JDK 1.4
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

The JDBC buildfarm has been broken since Friday as I've discovered this
morning (see
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=piapiac). All
branches (8.4,9.0,9.1 & HEAD) are failing with the same reason:

compile:
    [javac] /home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/build.xml:125: warning:
'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to
build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
    [javac] Compiling 152 source files to
/home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/build
    [javac]
/home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/ds/common/PGObjectFactory.java:119:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method parseBoolean (java.lang.String)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.Boolean
    [javac]
ds.setBinaryTransfer(Boolean.parseBoolean(binaryTransfer));
    [javac]                                         ^
    [javac]
/home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2/AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:3129:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method valueOf (long)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.Long
    [javac]             throw new PSQLException(GT.tr("Bad value for type
{0} : {1}", new Object[]{targetType, Long.valueOf(val)}),
    [javac]
                                        ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 2 errors

Both of these method calls - Boolean.parseBoolean() and Long.valueOf() -
are introduced in JDK 1.5. Are we dropping support for 1.4? Given that the
workaround to maintain 1.4 compatability is so simple (see attached patch)
I would recommend maintaing support of 1.4.

Regards,

--
Mike Fowler
Registered Linux user: 379787

The Call for Papers for is open for FLOSS UK, contact postgresql2012 AT
flossuk DOT org for details.