Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs = - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wheeler
Subject Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 23, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Because LIKE does a character-by-character matching and = uses the
> operating system locale, which could do anything.  If you set the
> locale to C, you should get matching results.  Which one is "better"
> depends on the semantics of the language, which I cannot judge here.

Thanks. So I need to set the locale to C and then LIKE will work
properly? How do I go about doing that? I can see these options:

LC_COLLATE
String sort order

LC_CTYPE
Character classification (What is a letter? The upper-case equivalent?)

LC_MESSAGES
Language of messages

LC_MONETARY
Formatting of currency amounts