Re: Remove win32ver.rc from version_stamp.pl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remove win32ver.rc from version_stamp.pl
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> This removes another relic from the old nmake-based Windows build.
> version_stamp.pl put version number information into win32ver.rc.  But
> win32ver.rc already gets other version number information from the
> preprocessor at build time, so it would make more sense if all version
> number information would be handled in the same way and we don't have
> two places that do it.

This has a minor conflict in Solution.pm according to the cfbot.

In general, while I'm on board with the idea, I wonder whether it
wouldn't be smarter to keep on defining PG_MAJORVERSION as a string,
and just add PG_MAJORVERSION_NUM alongside of it.  This would
eliminate some hunks from the patch in places where it's more
convenient to have the version as a string, and it would avoid
what could otherwise be a pretty painful cross-version incompatibility
for extensions.  We already provide PG_VERSION in both forms, so
I don't see any inconsistency in doing likewise for PG_MAJORVERSION.