Re: A thread about SPs -- mentioning PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: A thread about SPs -- mentioning PostgreSQL
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 01:41, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 09:22:18AM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>
> > There is a new thread at /. "Stored Procedures - Good or Bad?", and it
> > mentions about PostgreSQL among enterprise databases:
> >
> > http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/04/07/30/2324206.shtml?tid=198&tid=156&tid=4&tid=1&tid=8&tid=218
>
> Very interesting.  A gem:
>
>     I used to work for an ecommerce (java/ejb) website that needed to ditch
>     it's oracle licensing (we were running out of money) and had to switch
>     everything over to mysql. Our site featured a custom built ecommerce
>     site, forums and a few external services (feeds like weather etc).
>
>     Because we designed everything using EJBs and a decent middle tier we
>     were able to convert everything over in two days (two senior
>     developers).

I think what this points up is that if you're going to have one big
process updating your data, and the others just need to read it, then
you can build your business rules into the application layer for
updates, and use views for all the output and it's quite portable.

OTOH, having a data store that's updated by different processes may need
to have more of the logic in the database for both performance and
correctness.

I feel the article was mistitled, it should have been "when you should
choose one or the other" or something like that.