Postgresql vs. aggregates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jao@geophile.com
Subject Postgresql vs. aggregates
Date
Re: Postgresql vs. aggregates  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
I have an application with a table that tracks objects with a "size"
attribute. What we want to do is to periodically report on the number
of these objects and the sum of the object sizes. The table will
typically have 1-5 million rows.

I know that the obvious "select count(*), sum(size) ..." is not a good
idea, and we have seen the impact such a query has on performance.

Then we tried creating triggers to maintain a table with object_count
and sum_size columns:

    create table summary(object_count bigint, sum_size bigint)

We populate the table with exactly one row, initialized to (0, 0).
A trigger runs an update like this:

    update summary
    set object_count = object_count + 1,
        sum_size = sum_size + new.size

The problem is that our application has periods where objects are
being created at a rapid rate. Updates to the summary table slow down
over time, and the slowdown is accompanied by very low CPU idle% as
reported by vmstat.

I found that if I have a thread which vacuums the summary table every
few seconds (e.g. 30), then update times stay reasonable. We're
starting to reconsider this approach, wondering if the vacuuming or
the buildup of row versions (in those 30 seconds) is behind some
variability in performance that we're seeing. To that end, we are
measuring the impact of more frequent and less frequent
vacuuming. I'll skip the details here since this is not the main point
of this email.

Another idea we had is to maintain object_count and sum_size in
sequences. The trigger would use currval and setval to maintain the
values. The problem with this is that when we try to examine the
sequence on another connection, we can't use currval before bumping
the value with nextval, which would interfere with maintenance of the
totals. (The error message for a sequence s is "ERROR:  s.currval
is not yet defined in this session".)

Yet another idea is to write C functions which maintain counts in
shared memory, simulating what we can't quite do with sequences.

I understand why asking for aggregate values computed over rapidly
changing data sets is not a completely meaningful thing to do. Yet we
have the requirement. Users of our product need to be able to look at
object_count and sum_size to get a sense of how an object load is
proceeding.

This shouldn't be so difficult. I've seen, on this mailing list,
the advice "don't do that, use a trigger" when someone want to do
select count(*). But I haven't seen any discussion of the consequences
of using a trigger.

Can anyone recommend a good way to maintain aggregates using a
trigger? Is vacuuming every few seconds really the only way to go?

Jack Orenstein