Re: Prestige users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Prestige users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:39, Bruce wrote:
> We've got a raging debate going on now on whether we should move from a
> Foxpro back end to either PostgreSQL or MySQL.
>
> It's an accounting application and I feel that Postgres would be the better
> choice. Some other people (like my boss) thinks that MySQL would be better
> choice. His reasoning is that MySQL gets more publicity so it must be
> better. He says that since the Sabre airline reservation system and Yahoo
> run with MySQL, they are the best. Period.
>
> I'm sure Postgres has a couple prestige organizations that use database. If
> I could come up with some big names, I'm pretty sure we could make everyone
> into believers. Unfortunately, the only thing close to a "name" on the
> website is the company BSAF.
>
> Do you know any other well-known names?

Fujitsu, Cisco, Ford, Red Hat... there are others though not sure if
your boss would have heard of them.

More importantly if you are making an accounting app, you better read up
on my$ql's loose implementation of data types, like inserting a 0 into
field when sent a blank or bogus string. Something like that can lead to
application bugs which could cost people real money down the line... I
don't mean to be FUDalistic, but you are talking an accounting app, so
it seems a rather important bit. More can be found at
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

Robert Treat