Re: stats for network traffic WIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: stats for network traffic WIP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Yes, I think the overhead of this patch is far, far too high to
> contemplate applying it.  It sends a stats collector message after
> *every socket operation*.  Once per transaction would likely be too
> much overhead already (think: pgbench -S) but once per socket op is
> insane.

Oh, is that what the problem is?  That seems trivially fixable --- only
flush the data to the collector once per query or so.  I'd be a bit
inclined to add it to the existing transaction-end messages instead of
adding any new traffic.

> Moreover, even if we found some way to reduce that overhead to an
> acceptable level, I think a lot of people would be unhappy about the
> statsfile bloat.

This could be a bigger problem, but what are we aggregating over?
If the stats are only recorded at say the database level, that's not
going to take much space.

Having said that, I can't get very excited about this feature anyway,
so I'm fine with rejecting the patch.  I'm not sure that enough people
care to justify any added overhead at all.  The long and the short of
it is that network traffic generally is what it is, for any given query
workload, and so it's not clear what's the point of counting it.