Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From jamie
Subject Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 08:28, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> В Втр, 06.04.2004, в 02:03, Rodrigo Moya пишет:
> > On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 01:12 +0200, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> > >
> > > PostgreSQL can easily be set up automatically by a software daemon of
> > > some sort, without manual intervention.
> > >
> > yes, I know, but what if I add later on a user to the system? Giving
> > permissions to that user and create a database for it is not an easy
> > task for 'normal' desktop users.
>
> The daemon can handle that, too.

Well firebird does not need any daemon even to run let alone setup.

The Embedded Firebird version is just a shared library (no daemon
needed). The embedded version is not network transparent and theres no
security or need for users to be defined but that should be okay cause
no one on the network can access it (so we dont need user/password
security). In fact its so easy to use and install that the whole
complaint about installation, setting up users and permissions is a
complete non issue with embedded Firebird. The database files can sit in
a user's home directories so the lack of security in the embedded
version is also a non issue.

It gets even better bacause the same database can be used with the
network transparent client/server version if its needed (some users will
want to access storage on remote machines via the network so its a nice
to have this feature as optional even if it involves more configuration
but certainly the embeddable version should be default for ease of use)

Nobody wants to have a monster RDBMS like Oracle or Postgres on the
desktop when a small and simple shared library would suffice. All
versions of Firebird are self tuning and no DBA is required at all and
thats what makes it such a great embeddable RDBMS. (Postgres is not self
tuning AFAIK).

jamie.