Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetwal is broken if run from v10 against older version of PG data directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_resetwal is broken if run from v10 against older version of PG data directory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
tushar <tushar.ahuja@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I have installed PG v9.6 / v9.5 , if we run pg_resetwal from v10
> binaries against data directory of v9.6/9.5 ,getting this error -

> centos@centos-cpula bin]$ ./pg_resetwal -D /tmp/pg9.6/bin/data/
> pg_resetwal: pg_control exists but is broken or unknown version; ignoring it
> pg_resetwal: could not open directory "pg_wal": No such file or directory

This is pretty much exactly what I'd expect.  Why would you think
that pg_resetwal should work with other major versions?

(Maybe we should have it look at PG_VERSION and refuse to do anything
if that doesn't have the expected contents.)