Re: Predictive or scoring solution for PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc A. Leith
Subject Re: Predictive or scoring solution for PostgreSQL ?
Date
Re: Predictive or scoring solution for PostgreSQL ?  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hmmmm, it's been a while since I did this but...

This was with Sybase (it should be configurable with ODBC by now) but we used a
tool called ModelMAX (Advanced Software Appliactions or A.S.A) which could
select a sample of records and score them on the basis of fields (you need some
NO's as well). It produced 'C' code that would score non-flagged records on the
basis of the new results.

Our process was to select a sample of YES/NO records and split it into to two
samples. (The Yes records are actually coded as '1' and the No records as '0').
The No records give the system something to differentiate.

The first and larger sample was used to generate or train the neural net. Then
the second sample (with known values) was scored using the new model, and the
known result compared with the score.

Generally the score was a probability - of response or credit card application
approval or the like.

If the model is valid, the formula can be rolled out to the database.

The trick is that the tool needs to understand something about the fields
available for scoring. Domain and type, ranges and codings - if these are fixed
they are a one time setup.

Other tools do similar things - another was Knowledge Seeker from Angoss
Software - which built turnkey decision trees (this was fairly cheap depending
on the system it is running on). SAS also produced a turnkey modeling solution
(not cheap $$$$).  You could also try SPSS (cheaper than SAS). Group 1 Software
also marketed an all-in-one Modeling Sol'n - Model 1 (I think) but I never
actually used it.

I'll dig around and see if I can find an article I wrote about this...

Marc A. Leith
President
redboxdata inc.

E-mail:mleith@redboxdata.com