Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>:

> > I'm in a similar situation. My app is currently PG-only (although I
> > _might_ be able to get it work with Firebird eventually). Currently I have
>
> > to sell Linux to prospective clients in addition to my app. A native
> > Windows version would make my life a bit easier.
> Same here.
>
> Our "clients" use legacy medical office software that 99% runs
> on Windows. We offer add-ons (tailored mini-versions of our
> main application :-) and thus get OSS (Python, PostgreSQL,
> wxWindows, sometimes Linux itself) into their offices and onto
> their networks. Most of the time the main difficulty is to figure
> out how to offer PostgreSQL in their environment (yes, we know
> about CygWin).
>
> ("clients" because we don't do business as in selling stuff)
>
> Karsten Hilbert, MD
>
> www.gnumed.org
> --
> GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
> E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

I know in a lot of environments this would not be via, especially a medical one
where information is sensitive but have you considered using a hoster to house
your app/database and then writing (windows) clients (with secure backends)?

There are a number of hosters including myself that would probably be more that
willing to partner with you see how with can be does so that it an acceptable
scenario all the way around.

-$0.02

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.