Re: pgsql 7.4 on minimal environment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: pgsql 7.4 on minimal environment
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting "Victor B. Berdin" <vic@digi.com.ph>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to make PostgreSQL 7.4 to work on a minimal Linux
> (2.4.22/libc-2.3.1) environment
> comprised of selected libraries and the latest busybox. So far, the
> binaries: "initdb", "pg_ctl" and
> "initlocation" (initlocation: not really required) won't  work, and
> terminates with the "SIGSEGV"
> message. All other pg binaries/executables do not report the said
> segfault message.
> To make the other pg binaries work, I've included each of the libraries
> (one after the other) as
> they are requested by the executables. On the other hand, "initdb",
> "pg_ctl" and "initlocation"
> do not suggest the dependencies that they require, thus, I am clueless
> as to what else to add/tweak
> on my minimal environment.
> - The PGSQL build on my dev't/slackware build machine has no problems.
> Any help/advise is greately appreciated.
>
> TIA - Vic

Thats interesting since "ldd initdb" and "ldd pg_ctl" show that there aren't any
.so's needed.  Have you tried using the debugger to see whats is causing the fault.

If you are trying to build a "runtime" (Linux and PostgreSQL running live from a
CD) you might want to use install a minimum files system first and then merge
that filesystem that into something like the Slackware disc 2 CD.  I've done
that before to make customized runtime/recovery CD's.

For PostgreSQL, you'd need a way to put it on a filesystem that it thinks is
writeable so you'd probably need a kernel that supports a very large ramdisk.
I'm just guessing since I've never attempted to put PostgreSQL on runtime CD but
this has been discussed before so maybe someone else has had some success.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: