Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Carmen Wai <wai_carmen@hotmail.com>:

> Hello:
>
> I would like to know whether there is any different in installing Postgresql
>
> on the Linux system with file system of EXT2 or EXT3. I have two machines
> with idential OS (Red Hat 7.3 install with postgresql 7.3.4) but with
> different file system, 1 is EXT2 and the other is EXT3. When I insert 10,000
>
> records to the two machines, I found that the machine with EXT2 insert much
> quicker than the other with EXT3.
>
> Is postgresqk perform better with EXT2 file system?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Carmen

> Linguaphone :  Learning English? Get Japanese lessons for FREE
> http://go.msnserver.com/HK/30476.asp

Keep in mind that with a journaling type fs, you have additional overhead for
the journal.  I've heard people make this comment before about EXT 3 being
slower that EXT 2.  I personally haven't seen any signficant slow down but for
Linux keep in mind that you could also use ReiserFS which I've heard is faster
than EXT 3 in the same scenario.  JFS is also an option.

You might also want to adjust your inode size down on the EXT2/3 filesystems.
The default is 4k.  I use 2k but you can go as low as 1k.  Thats not something
you can do on the fly though.  You'll have to backup everything and redo the
filesystem.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications