Re: What's wrong with this identification configuration? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: What's wrong with this identification configuration?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Wei Weng <wweng@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
> This is the idenfication setup in my /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
> local   all                                             trust
> host    all     127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255         trust

> This is supposed to authenticate any user to be able to access my postgresql
> system any time, no?

Any local user, yes.

> But this is what happened:
> [root@Monet wweng]# su postgres
> bash-2.05a$ psql template1
> psql: FATAL 1:  No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user postgres,
> database template1

Did you recently change the pg_hba.conf file?  If so, maybe you forgot
to SIGHUP the postmaster to get it to re-read the file.  Otherwise, my
only thought is that you aren't talking to the same postmaster you
thought you were ... that pg_hba.conf should definitely let in any
local connection ...
        regards, tom lane