Re: Fwd: pgsql ---> Oracle, etc - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Fwd: pgsql ---> Oracle, etc
Date
List pgsql-novice
Erik Price <erikprice@mac.com> writes:
> I am doing some Java development at work, and have need of a database
> for back-end.  I've used MySQL in the past, but many recommendations of
> PostgreSQL have prompted me to take a look.  But may I first ask a
> question -- is it a relatively straightforward process to dump
> PostgreSQL data and then import it into an Oracle database?  The reason
> I ask is that it is very possible that after development, the
> application may need to be ported to use Oracle (not my decision to
> make) and I am concerned about compatibility.

Transporting the data shouldn't be too hard.  Porting your application
from one DB to another can be painful, as everybody has their own set of
discrepancies from the SQL standard.  Frequently you don't realize
until you port which nonstandard features you were depending on.

My guess is that a PG -> Oracle port would be much less painful than
a MySQL -> Oracle port, as MySQL is considerably off the mark in many
areas of spec compliance.  But you'd have to be careful in either
scenario.

            regards, tom lane