Re: introduce "default_use_oids" - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: introduce "default_use_oids"
Date
Re: introduce "default_use_oids"  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 05:56, Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:00:22 -0400, Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>
> wrote:
> >This patch adds a new GUC var, "default_use_oids"
>
> Shouldn't it be honoured by CREATE TABLE AS SELECT ... ?

Good catch. I've attached an updated patch. I also included a few
improvements to the docs.

I think it would be a good idea to extend CREATE TABLE AS to allow WITH
OIDS and WITHOUT OIDS to be specified, so that it provides a better
option for people who need OIDs in their CREATE TABLE AS-generated
tables than manually setting the default_use_oids GUC var (CREATE TABLE
AS should also accept ON COMMIT ..., for that matter). But implementing
this will require changing the internal representation of CREATE TABLE
AS to be something more than just a wrapper over SelectStmt, I believe.
I haven't made this change in the attached patch, but I'll probably do
it before 7.5 is released. Any comments?

-Neil

Attachment