Re: online vs. hot backup (was Re: Type of application that use PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Network Administrator
Subject Re: online vs. hot backup (was Re: Type of application that use PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:32, Network Administrator wrote:
> > Quoting Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>:

> [snip]
> > The other thing is that I suspect there might be some confusion as to the
> > difference between "hot backups" (dump of data does not require DB to be
> "down")
> > and "online backups" (dump of data is not needed because on the disk state
> of
> > the DB is current to some "recent" time).  To be perfectly honest, I've
> only had
>
> Huh?  This is the 1st time that I've ever seen mention that there
> is a distinction between "hot" and "on-line" backup.
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> Jefferson, LA USA
>
> "Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
> Unknown

I might be splitting hairs but I have had this conversation elsewhere.  It was
quiet awhile ago and I might not be using the right term  for "online".  Using
my terminalogy though, doing a "hot backup" gives you data current to the time
of that backup.  Doing an "online backup" would give you data current to the
last time everthing was sync'd to disk.

I think I had this discussion when I was on a developers list of BeOS during
discussion of what are commonly called journaling filesystems (e.g. Ext3, JFS,
ReiserFS, etc in the *nix world).  Databases were talked about since at the time
that was really the only reference for how to even begin implementing.

Actually one of the tests I'm going to be doing when the new Linux 2.6 distos
start coming out is running Pg with an ext3 and reiser filesystems and literally
pulling the plug to see what happens.

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications