online vs. hot backup (was Re: Type of application that use PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject online vs. hot backup (was Re: Type of application that use PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:32, Network Administrator wrote:
> Quoting Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com>:

[snip]
> The other thing is that I suspect there might be some confusion as to the
> difference between "hot backups" (dump of data does not require DB to be "down")
> and "online backups" (dump of data is not needed because on the disk state of
> the DB is current to some "recent" time).  To be perfectly honest, I've only had

Huh?  This is the 1st time that I've ever seen mention that there
is a distinction between "hot" and "on-line" backup.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
Unknown