Re: Possible PostgreSQL 8.3beta4 bug with MD5 authentication in psql? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible PostgreSQL 8.3beta4 bug with MD5 authentication in psql?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> 3. Invent another libpq function, maybe PQconnectionNeedsPassword,
>> that does the right thing for the password-checking tests.

> My vote goes to (3), if the work can be done quickly, or (1) if it
> can't.

I don't think it's a big problem to do, as long as we are agreed on
the behavior we want.  In particular, consider:

1. If libpq obtains a password internally (ie, from PGPASSWORD or
~/.pgpass), and it's wrong, do we want a user password prompt?

2. If we prompt the user for a password, and it's wrong, do we
want to try again?

Our historical behavior on both points was "no", but at least
the second one seems a bit questionable.