Re: BUG #16854: initdb fails on ReFS and FAT32 file systems - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #16854: initdb fails on ReFS and FAT32 file systems
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> On 2021/02/05 13:55, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>> In Microsoft Windows, initdb fails for ReFS and FAT32 file systems.
>> PostgreSQL 12.x worked fine.

> I'm not sure if ReFS is the supported platform or not.

I certainly don't have a problem with kicking FAT32 to the curb.
But according to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS

ReFS is Microsoft's latest and greatest attempt at implementing a modern
file system.  I'd quantify the greatness pretty poorly if they left out
hard links (I wonder what other essentials they didn't bother with)
but maybe we have to support it.

On the third hand, Wikipedia says a bit further down

    The ability to create ReFS volumes was removed in Windows 10's 2017
    Fall Creators Update for all editions except Enterprise and Pro for
    Workstations.[4]

which sounds a whole lot like "we've already given up on this".
If they're not pushing ReFS anymore then I think we can ignore it.

            regards, tom lane