Re: BUG #16854: initdb fails on ReFS and FAT32 file systems - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Euler Taveira
Subject Re: BUG #16854: initdb fails on ReFS and FAT32 file systems
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, at 12:26 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
ReFS is Microsoft's latest and greatest attempt at implementing a modern
file system.  I'd quantify the greatness pretty poorly if they left out
hard links (I wonder what other essentials they didn't bother with)
but maybe we have to support it.
It claims that the latest ReFS version (3.5) supports hard links [1].

On the third hand, Wikipedia says a bit further down

    The ability to create ReFS volumes was removed in Windows 10's 2017
    Fall Creators Update for all editions except Enterprise and Pro for
    Workstations.[4]

which sounds a whole lot like "we've already given up on this".
If they're not pushing ReFS anymore then I think we can ignore it.
It is not clear why they removed the ability to create ReFS filesystems in some
Windows 10 versions. Strategic decision? Even we fixed support for ReFS, they
would be a mess to explain that a previous created ReFS filesystem doesn't
support hard links and the OP should create a new one (unless MS provides a way
to figure out that filesystem doesn't support hard links because it was created
in a previous version).

--
Euler Taveira