Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 05:55, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2003 at 13:29, Alexey Borzov wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Here it is:
> > http://lists.mysql.com/list.php?1:mss:145114:mbnfmalgopgpdmpooeho
> >
> > I already asked the author whether he tried to reasonably tune
> > PostgreSQL before benchmarking. It will be good if some "official"
> > PostgreSQL folks help with the discussion.
>
> Well, yes. Ask him to come over to performance list, if he cares. I doubt that
> looking at the entire thread. Only couple of sensible postings with a benchmark
> page at http://www.sergeant.org/sqlite_vs_pgsync.html for which I couldn't find
> postgresql.conf file. Furthermore sqllite results do not agree with
> http://www.sqlite.org/speed.html in themselves..

Actually that page is interesting as much for the things it leaves out.
It compares pgsql and sql lite in a async mode and fsync mode.  It gives
some explanation on why the fsync mode is so much slower for sql lit,
but it seems to overlook that postgresql also can turn fsync on or off
(the default is on, which would slow postgresql down). Also I noticed
that these test were run against postgresql 7.1.3, which is a bit
outdated. Even tuned you'd have to expect it to perform slower than
7.3.3.  The other thing there seems to be no mention of is whether there
were ever any vacuum/analyze performed. In some of these tests that
would be a pretty important factor (like between the two 25,000 update
tests)

> > I think that if the author of the "benchmark" really wants to get decent
> > performance (and not to bash Postgres) then he will re-run the stuff.
> > And that's a good possibility to show MySQL users the real performance
> > situation --- and in their own maillist. ;
>
> I won't be too optimistic about that. But worth a try..

It's worth noting that the original poster was not the sqlite benchmark
guy. Since the sqlite test is publicly available, I think you could run
it against a more recent, tuned version and the author probably would
accept it. In the end though I'd expect sqlite to be faster, it has a
narrow feature set and specific scope, and we probably can't scale down
to that level. (For sure we scale up higher, but that's not whats being
measured.  As for the original poster, unless he shows up on
-performance I think his mind is already made up.

Robert Treat