Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on MySQL maillist - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on MySQL maillist
Date
Re: Another "benchmark" of MySQL/PostgreSQL on
List pgsql-advocacy
On 15 Jul 2003 at 13:29, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Here it is:
> http://lists.mysql.com/list.php?1:mss:145114:mbnfmalgopgpdmpooeho
>
> I already asked the author whether he tried to reasonably tune
> PostgreSQL before benchmarking. It will be good if some "official"
> PostgreSQL folks help with the discussion.

Well, yes. Ask him to come over to performance list, if he cares. I doubt that
looking at the entire thread. Only couple of sensible postings with a benchmark
page at http://www.sergeant.org/sqlite_vs_pgsync.html for which I couldn't find
postgresql.conf file. Furthermore sqllite results do not agree with
http://www.sqlite.org/speed.html in themselves..

> I think that if the author of the "benchmark" really wants to get decent
> performance (and not to bash Postgres) then he will re-run the stuff.
> And that's a good possibility to show MySQL users the real performance
> situation --- and in their own maillist. ;

I won't be too optimistic about that. But worth a try..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
bit, n:    A unit of measure applied to color.  Twenty-four-bit color    refers to
expensive $3 color as opposed to the cheaper 25    cent, or two-bit, color that