Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Network Administrator
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] MySQL gets $19.5 MM
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Network Administrator wrote:
>
> > What if smaller not-quite-trade-shows were held in different cities?  I
> would be
> > *very* interested in sponsering short seminars that simply market Pg and
> maybe
> > show some demo's and discuss thinks like migrate to Pg, Administration,
> IDE
> > options, etc.
> >
> > I used to rent meeting rooms at hotels for another venture and that is a
> pretty
> > cheap thing to do (include the coffee, tea, cheese, yada-yada-yada).  The
> > questions is how to get folks to attend...
> >
> > ..sound like mail stuffing party to me!
>
> Never underestimate how much you can do just by being a part of your local
> community.  I'm giving a quick session tonight here in Denver to compare
> MySQL, Postgresql and Firebird.

True indeed.  I think I'll put someone on to research some local businesses and
then I'll put together a seminar maybe for the fall.  You're right though- "if
you build it they will come"

> While I personally prefer Postgresql there are some things MySQL is
> particularly suited to as well, and some things that firebird is suited to
> as well.

Right, I don't necessarily hate on MySQL (or any Open Source product) but I know
its just as a religious a talk as Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD.  My goal is to
simply provide alternatives to the way things are done now.  I teach at a
technical school and one of the things my students appreciate is the fact that
I'm very honest about what they may expect in their career- including the fact
that it is ok to conside solutions that are not necessarily corporate culture.
In the end, I tell them, all that counts is your ability to complete the tasks
set before you.  One day that "demo" box in your office might move to the
production room :)

One of the things that I am doing (and will write up for submission) is showing
Domino6 & PostgreSQL integration.  If things go right, I hoping that some of the
folks I know in the city goverment will get wind of this and then reconsider
using Oracle as the city standard- gotta walk before I can run.

> A fair and valid comparison of their features is a useful way of "selling"
> Postgresql to the people who need it.

.and they all said," <--religious praise inserted here--> "

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: