Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
greg@turnstep.com kirjutas K, 16.04.2003 kell 16:51:
> The original poster had some
> valid points (auto-vacuum and non-intuitive commands) that still need
> addressing, IMO.

As of 7.3 (or was it 7.2) auto-vacuum is just one line in crontab. In
many scenarios it can be left running continuously with very little
effect on performance. In others it must be run nightly, but having it
kick in at unexpected times may not be what you want at all. So it has
to be configured for good performance weather it is built-in or run in a
separate backend process.

And I can't see how "show tables" is more intuitive than "\dt" - I
expected it to be "list tables" or "tablelist" or "näita tabeleid" .

Once you have found \? it is all there (and you are advised to use \? at
psql startup).

That may also be why PostgreSQL is more popular in Japan - if one has to
remember nonsensical strings, then it is easier to remember short ones
;)

Hannu