Re: Case sensitive order by - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Deepak Joglekar
Subject Re: Case sensitive order by
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 02:24, Tom Lane wrote:
> Deepak Joglekar <deepak.joglekar@nebula-soft.com> writes:
> > I want to do case sensitve sorting on a varchar field.
>
> > That is I will have strings in the varchar field which will have
> > character from ascii(32) to ascii(255). I want sort result by ascii
> > values.
>
> If you want a straight-ASCII sort without any funny locale sort rules,
> you need to be careful to initdb in C locale.

initdb -D /path-to-data --locale=C
It works the way I want ( pure ascii sort ). Thanks a lot.

I want to know is there any way to choose what type of sort to use
during query. i.e sort based on EN_US, or C.

Best regards.

Deepak Joglekar