Re: data transfer between databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel R. Anderson
Subject Re: data transfer between databases
Date
List pgsql-general
<snip>
> Can anyone suggest a good method to perform frequent data transfers (for eg. every 10 minutes) between 2 databases in
PostgreSQL(on Linux) on same machine ?
</snip>

Look up pg_dump, pg_dumpall, and COPY in the user manual.  It should be
relatively easy to use cron to dump to a certain file every 10 minutes
and then send it to another computer.

That should be all you need if you just need to create a copy of
databases (i.e. you want an off site backup).  If you're looking to sync
databases against each other I *think* it may be possible to use a text
editor like emacs or vi to compare dumps between computers -- but that's
just speculation on my part.

Perhaps a Postgresql guru can chip in?

--
Daniel R. Anderson
Great Lakes Industries, Inc.

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"
    -- Mark Twain