Re: configuration according to the database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: configuration according to the database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 15:28, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> If you are looking for speed, I would make the whole thing as arrays in memory
> in C++, and just do backups to the database on a regular basis.

You'd suggest storing "12 to 15GB" of data in main memory on an x86
machine with 4GB of RAM?

> Guillaume Houssay wrote:
> > 4 tables will have 1Million rows and 1000 columns with 90% of INT2 and
> > the rest of float (20% of all the data will be 0)

1,000 columns? That doesn't sound like the result of good database
design...

And if you'd like to try micro-optimizations, multiple NULL values in a
single tuple are stored efficiently -- so if those "0" values show up
more than once per tuple, consider storing them in the DB as NULL and
then converting them back to 0 (perhaps using COALESCE) on output.

> > DELL
> > bi-processor 2.8GHz
> > 4GB RAM
> > 76GB HD using Raid 5
> > Linux version to be defined (Redhat ?)
> >
> > Do you think this configuration is enough to have good performance after
> > setting up properly the database ?

Without telling us more information on how frequently your clients are
going to be accessing the DB, it's really impossible to say.

Cheers,

Neil