Re: 8.1RC1 fails to build on OS X (10.4) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.1RC1 fails to build on OS X (10.4)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Idar Tollefsen <idart@performancedesign.no> writes:
> *blush* Found it.

> Any one the following flags will produce the described problems (alone
> or in combination):
> -faltivec
> -mabi=altivec
> -maltivec
> -mcpu=<your CPU type here>

<spock>Fascinating.</spock>

I tried this on my own machine, and found out that -faltivec causes
Darwin's gcc to add about a dozen predefined macros (compare -dM output
with and without it).  The gem that's killing us is
#define bool bool

but it tromps on user identifier space in some other ways too, including
#define'ing "pixel" and "vector".

I cannot imagine any sane use for a macro defined as above, so I'd
suggest filing a bug report with Apple.

We could kluge our way around this with something like#ifdef __APPLE_CC__#undef bool#endif
in c.h, but I'm a little worried what impact this might have on the
system header files.  Why in the world have they got it doing that?

Meanwhile, this is a good tip to have in our archives.