Causes an insert into a table with a unique column a tablelock or a rowlock? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From u15074
Subject Causes an insert into a table with a unique column a tablelock or a rowlock?
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a table containing a unique (primary key) column.
When I start a transaction and insert a row into the table, that doesn't
violate the unique constraint, will the whole table be locked or will there be
a rowlock?
What happens if I have a parallel transaction running, that inserts the same
row like the other transaction? Will I get an error or will I be able to
continue the transaction, but get an error when trying to commit?

Thanks.