Re: Solving the OID-collision problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Solving the OID-collision problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Considering we don't even have code to do this, much less have expended
>> one day of beta testing on it, back-patching seems a bit premature.

> You provided a patch and explained your testing of it. It seems to be a
> useful test to me, and as I said a practical solution to OID wrap.

I didn't provide a patch --- I provided a proof-of-concept hack that
covered just two of the seventeen catalogs with OIDs (and not every case
even for those two).  A real patch would likely be much more invasive
than this, anyway, because we'd want to fix things so that you couldn't
accidentally forget to use the free-OID-finding code.