Re: accessing currval(), How? ... Trigger? I think...??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: accessing currval(), How? ... Trigger? I think...???
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 07:38, Ralph Rotondo wrote:

> What I want to do is take the value used for contact_id by the sequence
> contact_id_seq and insert it into a matching field in table contact_lists,
> (In other words I want everybody entered in the db to get a contact_list
> assigned to them linked via their contact_id).
>
> I can do this from the commandline using:
>
> SELECT currval('"contact_id_seq"');
>
> I have had no success accessing the currval() function through PHP trying
> every possible combo of single & double quotes and have reached the
> conclusion that the currval() function is simply unreachable from outside
> postgres. So I tried to create a pl/pgsql function to be called by a
> trigger.

There's nothing special about accessing currval from outside
postgresql.  psql uses the libpq interface, just like everything else.

I wonder if your problem is that you are not getting the same database
session each time?  currval() only works in the *same* session that
nextval() was called in.  Since http is stateless, you would need to
provide a means to connect to the same session; any other would give a
failure, or even the wrong result (if someone else had called nextval
and you had inherited that session).  Perhaps you should arrange to
store the nextval result with a key that can be retrieved from any
session.

If it is the session that is the problem, wrapping currval in a function
will make no difference at all.

     "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to
      become the sons of God, even to them that believe on
      his name"        John 1:12