Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle patch. for 7.3rc1. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Hierarchical queries a la Oracle patch. for 7.3rc1.
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian kirjutas R, 06.12.2002 kell 00:36:
> This is a pretty sizable patch, and there was discussion about it.  Tom,
> are you saying you will apply it with different syntax, or that you will
> do another implementation.
>
> I need feedback from another person before I can just reject this.

I agree with Tom, that oracle's syntax is is both limited and horrible.

OTOH, if the internal implementation is ok, and the syntax does not
clash with possible future standard SQL syntax, I'd say it would be ok
to implement.

OTOOH, the full SQL99 hierarchical queries are much more powerful and
may require more (and possibly different) internal changes than the
"oracle" way of doing it.

The question is basically - do we want to tie ourselves toforever
supporting Oracle syntax here - for example we don't do outer joins the
Oracle way using =(+).

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>