Re: [SQL] Inconsistent or incomplete behavior obverse in where - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] Inconsistent or incomplete behavior obverse in where
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Now, that's interesting.   Why would defining a "numeric = float" have
> broken "numeric = integer"?   There's no reason I can think of.

The problem probably is that the parser now finds two possible
interpretations that look equally good to it, so it can't choose.
It could coerce the integer constant to numeric (and use numeric=numeric)
or to float (and use the added numeric=float operator), and there's no
rule that can break the tie.

In 7.3 and 7.4 we are actually going in the direction of removing
cross-data-type operators, not adding them, because they tend to create
too many options for the parser to choose from.