Re: pg_dump failes due to invalid memory request - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump failes due to invalid memory request
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Morgan Kita" <mkita@verseon.com> writes:
> I just tried to call pg_dump for my database this evening, and it fails on one of my tables.
> The error it gives in the log is:
> ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 3221230573

This looks like a pretty standard data-corruption situation: you've got
a variable-width field somewhere with a ridiculous value in its length
word.  If you trawl the PG mail list archives you'll find plenty of
examples and discussions about how to triangulate on the bad row(s) and
get rid of them.

> Now the only thing I can think of is that this particular table has 2
> custom data types that are both toastable.

[ raised eyebrow... ]  Then it could also be a symptom of a garden
variety bug in your custom datatype code.  Have you tried getting
a stack trace from errfinish() to see exactly where the complaint
is being raised?

            regards, tom lane