Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures  (Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> The actual criterion is not really "new user-visible feature" versus
> "bug fix".  It's more an attempt at measuring how large a potential
> impact the change has.  The patch I saw was introducing a whole new
> message type to go through the shared invalidation queue, which is not
> something to be taken lightly (consider that there are three message
> types of messages currently.)

I hadn't read it yet, but that makes it wrong already.  There's no need
for any new inval traffic --- the existing syscache inval messages on
pg_proc entries should serve fine.

More generally, if we are to try to invalidate on the strength of
pg_proc changes, what of other DDL changes?  Operators, operator
classes, maybe?  How about renaming a schema?  I would like to see a
line drawn between things we find worth trying to track and things we
don't.  If there is no such line, we're going to need a patch a lot
larger than this one.