Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Patch: plan invalidation vs stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > The actual criterion is not really "new user-visible feature" versus
> > "bug fix".  It's more an attempt at measuring how large a potential
> > impact the change has.  The patch I saw was introducing a whole new
> > message type to go through the shared invalidation queue, which is not
> > something to be taken lightly (consider that there are three message
> > types of messages currently.)
>
> I hadn't read it yet, but that makes it wrong already.  There's no need
> for any new inval traffic --- the existing syscache inval messages on
> pg_proc entries should serve fine.
>
> More generally, if we are to try to invalidate on the strength of
> pg_proc changes, what of other DDL changes?  Operators, operator
> classes, maybe?  How about renaming a schema? I would like to see a
> line drawn between things we find worth trying to track and things we
> don't.  If there is no such line, we're going to need a patch a lot
> larger than this one.

Or maybe a simpler and smaller patch - just invalidate everything on
every schema change :)

It will have a momentary impact on performance at DDL time, but
otherways might be more robust and easier to check for errors.

Hannu