Re: Performance Tuning Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Hirt
Subject Re: Performance Tuning Question
Date
Re: Performance Tuning Question  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 03:21, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 11:04:31PM -0600, Brian Hirt wrote:
> > It seems the planner tries to avoid I/O so much that the default tuning
> > parameters works against us a bit.  i've tried a few changes here and
> > there, but without much luck since i don't really know what to change
> > tho values to.
>
> Why is this a bad thing? The less IO the better, right?

If there was actually IO going on, then yes I agree.

I don't know the internals of postgres, but I can easily think of a
hypothetical situation where more IO would be better (in my
environment).  Say for instance, the planner picks a slower method for
performing a query (table scan) because it expects to do less IO than
using an Index which has to read the index and then also pages from the
table.  Now, if you took disk caching out of the picture, the avoided IO
would more than make up for the slower query plan.  However, since all
of my data is cached in memory, the scan is actually much slower since
there actually is no I/O.   This was the whole angle of my question.  I
seem to recall from the hackers list that there are parameters to help
the planner estimate how expensive I/O is, but I don't really know how
to set it.   This is what I'm interested.  I want to planner to put less
emphases on IO since my database remain mostly in memory and IO is
usually not very expensive.

> > One of the things I see over and over again is the planner picking a seq
> > scan over an index scan. And practically always, when I force a index
> > scan and use explain analyze the index scan would have been faster.
> > I've heard the explanation be that at some point it's cheaper to do a
> > scan instead of using the index.  I think that assumption might be based
> > on IO estimates.
>
> There are values somewhere to estimate the amount of cache to estimate for.
> I beleive SHOW ALL will show all tunable parameters.

I know this, but i cannot find any good reference how to tune them and
how changing them.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance is basically skips
over all this and give a high level talk mainly about UNIX memory
management.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?performance-tips.html also
doesn't talk about this.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?runtime-config.html actually
lists the options that can be used for tuning but, but that's about it.
I don't really see any other documents about performance tuning.  If you
know some other turning docs, I would love to see them.

FYI: I did set effective_cache_size to 1.5gb, but the estimated cost for
the query using the index remained exactly the same.

> > I can just give one example here that's indicative of what I'm seeing
> > over and over.  The two explain outputs are below, and both are
> > executing without any I/O.  The table has 12904 rows, the plan estimates
> > 959 rows (about 7.4% of table) and actually only 639 (~ 5%) are
> > fetched.  The table scan consistently takes 50 times longer to execute.
> > I see this over and over and over.  I know a few hundred msec here and
> > there seems small, but this machine is performing at least a few million
> > queries a day -- it adds up.
>
> Is there any clustering going on? Also, I'm assuming you have run VACUUM
> ANALYZE over all the relevent tables. If possible, could you post the result
> of:

Yup, vacuum analyze get's run on the database frequently, and for the
test case I quoted, I make sure I ran it before the queries ran.