Re: read this and puke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tony
Subject Re: read this and puke
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 21:22, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have to read any email with that subject line. :-)

Well for the world at large there is one, and only one, free SQL
database IMO. Guess which was the first one I looked at when I
discovered I needed to learn SQL? Then I looked at the licence and I
couldn't use it without paying for it so I checked out PostgreSQL...

From various mails I have been receiving an important part of lost users
checked out PostgreSQL a couple of years ago. They weren't impressed by
the speed. We also need a campaign along the lines of "come back, we got
speed"...

RedHat can not push its version of PostgreSQL and stay friends with
Larry who gives them lots of money. So we can't count on them being a
motor behind a marketing effort.

You all know why we need more visibility? Because it becomes easier to
propose a PostgreSQL solution to clients! Ever had the CIO asking "why
don't we use MySQL? That seems to be a very poular database"?...

Maybe we could do a campaogn on "putting the P back into LAPP"? (Linux,
Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL)

I think that we should emphasize "high-end" and "powerful" as we are
looking for capturing the elite user aren't we?

Enough fluff for today

Cheers

Tony

--