Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> * Ivan Voras (ivoras@freebsd.org) wrote:
>> If I read the documentation correctly
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/pgupgrade.html), it needs
>> oldbindir and newbindir arguments pointing to the directories of
>> PostgreSQL executables for the old and new versions, making it basically
>> unusable for upgrading systems which are maintained with packages
>> instead of individually compiling & installing custom versions of
>> PostgreSQL, right? (except possibly Debian which may allow multiple pg
>> versions to be installed, I haven't tried it).

> Uhm, don't basically all Debian-based and RedHat-based distributions
> support having multiple major versions installed concurrently?  It's a
> pretty reasonable thing to need and, imv anyway, all packaging of PG
> should support it.

In Red Hat's own packaging, you should temporarily install the
postgresql-upgrade RPM, which contains pg_upgrade as well as a copy
of the previous-generation postmaster.  If you use Devrim's packages,
I think he more nearly follows the Debian approach.  Either way, if
a packager has failed to allow pg_upgrade to be usable within his
package set(s), it's a packaging error that you should complain
about.

            regards, tom lane