Re: Temp tables are curious creatures.... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Temp tables are curious creatures....
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 03:35, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> > Appears psql needs to know how to differentiate between it's own temp
> > tables and those of another connection.
>
> More generally, psql is as yet clueless about schemas.
>
> regression=# create schema foo;
> CREATE
> regression=# create schema bar;
> CREATE
> regression=# create table foo.tab1 (f1 int);
> CREATE
> regression=# create table bar.tab1 (f2 int);
> CREATE
> regression=# \d tab1
>          Table "tab1"
>  Column |  Type   | Modifiers
> --------+---------+-----------
>  f1     | integer |
>  f2     | integer |
>
> This is ... um ... wrong.  I am not real sure what the right behavior
> is, however.  Should \d accept patterns like schema.table (and how
> should its wildcard pattern matching fit with that?)  If you don't
> specify a schema, should it only show tables visible in your search
> path?

Yes.

For me the intuitive answer would be

regression=# \d tab1         Table "foo.tab1" Column |  Type   | Modifiers--------+---------+----------- f1     |
integer|

         Table "bar.tab1" Column |  Type   | Modifiers--------+---------+----------- f2     | integer |

i.e. default wildcarding of missing pieces

Hannu