Re: ANALYZE after restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: ANALYZE after restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 06:52, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would it be an idea to have pg_dump append an ANALYZE; command to the end of
> > its dumps to assist newbies / inexperienced admins?
>
> I do not think this is desired behaviour. Firstly, pg_dump is not just for
> restoring data to the system. Presumably another flag would need to be
> added to pg_dump to prevent an ANALYZE being appended.

Yes.

> This is messing and, in my opinion, it goes against the 'does what it says> it does' nature of Postgres.

What does pg_dump say it does ?

Or should pg_dump append ANALYZE only if it determines that ANALYZE has
been run on the database being dumped ?

Do you have any tools that will break when ANALYZE is added, (and which
don't break on the weird way of dumping foreign keys ;) ?

> Secondly, in experienced admins are not going to get
> experienced with database management unless they see that their database
> runs like a dog and they have to read the manual.

Rather they think that the database is indeed designed to run like a
dog.

For _forcing_ them newbies to learn we could append a new UNANALYZE
command that inserts delibarately bogus info into pg_statistic to make
it perform even worse by default ;)

In general, I'd prefer a database that has no need to be explicitly
maintained. How many experienced file-system managers do you know ?

Hannu