Re: ANALYZE after restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: ANALYZE after restore
Date
Re: ANALYZE after restore  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@krosing.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would it be an idea to have pg_dump append an ANALYZE; command to the end of
> its dumps to assist newbies / inexperienced admins?

I do not think this is desired behaviour. Firstly, pg_dump is not just for
restoring data to the system. Presumably another flag would need to be
added to pg_dump to prevent an ANALYZE being appended. This is messing
and, in my opinion, it goes against the 'does what it says it does' nature
of Postgres. Secondly, in experienced admins are not going to get
experienced with database management unless they see that their database
runs like a dog and they have to read the manual.

Gavin