Re: Ready to branch 7.2/7.3 ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: Ready to branch 7.2/7.3 ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I guess I don't understand the issue at hand.  Why wasn't the branch
created when the release was made?  Why can't 7.3 development start
immediately?  After all, once the branch is made, any 7.2 patches can be
applied to the branch and specific patches can be tagged as such on the
branch.  Likewise, merging them back to the truck isn't exactly hard to
do once you're ready to migrate back into the 7.3 development process.

While I've not checked for any tags in CVS, I have noticed that some
code as changes since the 7.2 release so if you tag CVS based on
float/truck, 7.2 CVS != 7.2 release.  Is there a document that explain's
the general CM approach around here?

What gives?

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere.

Greg

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 21:16, Justin Clift wrote:
[snip]
> Hang on here.  It sounds like we're following previous methodology to
> our (possible) slight detriment here.
>
> At present, we need 7.3 to start, so that people can begin working on
> it.
>
> We also need to have the 7.2 branch, so stuff for the to-be 7.2.x can be
> included there where appropriate.
>
> So, lets get it branched, because that's what needs to be done here and
> now, in this instance.
>
> Then people with a burn to do 7.3 stuff can do so, and things can be
> added to 7.2.x where needed.
[snip]

Greg